2016 - 2017 Catalog
Veteran Services


Each college maintains a veteran services office to provide support to veterans and their dependents. Though each office may provide additional services the primary function is to assist with the application and submission for educational benefits by eligible veterans their spouses and dependents. These benefits include the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill and the State of Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption. All students requesting education benefits must complete the required application process and submit all required documents to their college's veteran services office.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

The "GI Bill" is actually a variety of federal educational benefit programs which provide financial assistance to eligible veterans, their spouses and dependents. The college's veteran services office provides information and assistance in the application and processing of these benefits. They ensure that submissions for benefits are completed in accordance with the published regulations and assist students with meeting ongoing eligibility requirements.

VA regulations are subject to change without notice and students are encouraged to visit the VA website, http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ for the latest information.

Students may also contact their college's veteran services office for information or direct questions about specific educational benefits to the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551.

State of Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption

The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does not include living expenses, books, or supply fees.

To receive the tuition waiver the student must meet all eligibility requirements and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

For complete and up to date eligibility qualifications please visit the Texas Veterans commission (TVC) website http://www.tvc.texas.gov/Hazlewood-Act.aspx.

Veterans who are granted their first Hazlewood exemption beginning fall, 2011 must reside in Texas during the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed. This requirement does not apply to veterans who received the exemption prior to the 2011-2012 academic year.

For more information regarding Hazlewood Exemptions for Veterans, Spouses and Dependents go to http://www.tvc.texas.gov/Hazlewood-Act.aspx or contact your college's veteran services office.