TEXAS TOP 10% Scholarship Program
The 80th Texas legislature created the Top 10 Percent Scholarship to encourage students who graduate in the top 10 percent of their high school class to attend a Texas public institution of higher education. Qualifying students who submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) by March 15 of their senior year, and have financial need, are entitled to receive a $600 scholarship if they enroll fulltime in a Texas public college or university in the fall semester immediately following graduation from high school. Students who submit their FAFSA after March 15 will not be awarded due to budget restrictions.
- Be a Texas resident
- Demonstrate financial need (to be determined by the college or university financial aid office)
- Complete the following year FAFSA or TASFA (if applicable) and file by March 1 of the senior year in high school
- Complete Recommended or Distinguished Achievement HS curriculum
- Rank in the top 10 percent of the student's graduating class
- Graduate from an accredited high school in Texas
- Enroll fulltime in a Texas public 2-year or 4-year college or university in fall following graduation from high school
- Register for Selective Service, or be exempt
Students must ensure that their high school registrar or transcript office submits the student's official High School Transcript with the class ranking information and the appropriate curriculum (recommended or distinguished) to the college admissions/registrar office before July 15.