Program: Medical Front Office
Degree Plan: Medical Front Office Assistant Certificate
Gainful Employment Information
(Level I Certificate)
- Students pursuing this certificate are waived from the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) standards, but must meet course prerequisites.
- Students must earn at least 25% of the credit hours required for graduation through instruction by the college awarding the degree.
Degree Plan Code: C1.MEDOFC.ASST.16
Medical front office support professionals function in the front office handling incoming and outgoing patients. They perform administrative duties requiring the skills to create and maintain medical records and schedule and monitor appointments. In addition to the administrative duties, they handle coding and billing, collections, third party reimbursement, and credit arrangements. Computer basic skills are required, so the scheduling and billing process can be completed using a practice management software.
This award is for individuals:
- Who can demonstrate proficiency in keyboarding and document formatting and have at least one year of office experience.
- Who are new to a medical office setting.
- Who have successfully completed the courses in the Medical Front Office Marketable Skills Achievement Award.
This sequence of courses will prepare students for entry-level employment in a medical front office setting by developing core proficiency in medical terminology, office procedures, software applications, electronic medical records, coding basics, and medical insurance.
||Coding and Classification Systems
||Medical Software Applications
||Health Information Systems
||Cooperative Education-Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant and Medical Secretary
|Minimum Hours Required
NOTE: Students enrolling in this program who plan to transfer to a four-year institution should consult an advisor or counselor regarding transfer requirements and the transferability of these courses to the four-year institution of their choice.