The residency status of each student is determined during the admissions process, based upon documentary evidence available to make that decision. If the college later determines that a student was not entitled to resident status at the time of his or her registration, the student shall pay the college the amount he or she should have paid as a non-resident. Students found to have been incorrectly classified as a resident for tuition purposes due to information/documentation submitted must begin to pay the non-resident rate immediately and have a maximum of 30 days to repay all previous terms. If the student fails to pay as required, he or she is not entitled to receive a transcript.

State law requires that students sign a Certification of Information which is included in the Admissions application. The Certification of Information is not and may not be substituted for documentary evidence.

Provided they established legal residence in the state of Texas, the county of residence for a student under 18 years of age is the county in which his or her parents or legal guardian resides. Students who are 18 years of age and older are deemed to be residents of the county in which they reside.

Students less than 18 years of age whose family resides in another state or whose family has not resided in Texas for twelve months immediately preceding the date of registration are classified as out-of-state residents. Students 18 years of age or older who have not been residents of the state twelve months following their 18th birthdays or for the twelve months immediately preceding the date of registration are also classified as out-of-state residents.

Tuition for foreign nationals is determined on an individual basis after complete documentation is submitted and reviewed by the Admission Office.

The descriptions of residency statuses contained above are generally applicable. The Education Code (Section 54.052), rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and judicial and/or administrative interpretations specifically govern residency status. In the case of conflict between the above-noted descriptions and the latter authorities, the latter shall govern. Questions concerning residency should be directed to the Admissions Office.

Questions or comments? Webmaster