Go to Cedar Valley College Home page
Cedar Valley College Logo
  Home  I  Prospective Students  I  Current Students  I  Community Members  I  Employees  I  Media  I  About Cedar Valley College  I  Athletics 

2014 - 2015 Catalog
Veterans Educational Benefits

Skip Navagation

Collapse College Financial Aid

Montgomery GI Bill

The college assists veterans with completing proper forms and coordinating the certification procedures for monthly benefits administered under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The college Veterans Affairs Office may also provide information about VA educational benefits and assist with accomplishing enrollment and arranging tutoring services. (The VA Website is www.dcccd.edu/veterans) (The VA Web site is www.gibill.va.gov)

VA regulations are subject to change without notice. Contact the college Veterans Affairs Office for information about current regulations and procedures. Direct questions about specific financial benefits to the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551.

Hazlewood Act Exemption

Under the Hazlewood Act, certain Texas veterans, spouses and dependents can attend Texas public colleges and have tuition exempted. To be eligible, the student must:


  • Who, at the time of entry into the U.S. Armed Forces:
    • Are Texas residents,
    • Designated Texas as Home of Record, or
    • Entered the service in Texas.
  • Have served at least 181 days of active military duty excluding training, as indicated as "net active service" (the sum of 12(c) and 12(d)) on the DD214),
  • Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions,
  • Have no federal veteran's education benefits, or have federal veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; Pell and SEOG are not relevant) for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits,
  • Are not in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas, and
  • Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its costs), unless the college's governing board has ruled to let veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses.

NEW! Veterans who are granted their first Hazlewood exemption beginning fall, 2011 must reside in Texas during the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed. This requirement does not apply to veterans who received the exemption prior to the 2011-2012 academic year.

Texas state law requires that all veterans requesting assistance under the Hazlewood Act must complete a Hazlewood Exemption Application/Release form that will be used to report and track the amount of benefits that each veteran has used. Veterans, spouses and Dependents are limited to 150 attempted credit hours of exemptions. Contact the Veterans Affairs Office at your college for help in completing this form.

For more information regarding Hazlewood Exemptions for Veterans, Spouses and Dependents go to www.dcccd.edu/veterans or http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=579

Cedar Valley College Home Page Comments or technical problems to: Webmaster. Please read our Disclaimer, and Privacy and Security commitment.
Educational opportunities are offered by the Dallas County Community College District without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, sex, or disability.