The college assists veterans with completing proper forms and coordinating the certification procedures for monthly benefits administered under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The college Veterans Affairs Office may also provide information about VA educational benefits and assist with accomplishing enrollment and arranging tutoring services. (The VA Web site is www.va.gov.)
VA regulations are subject to change without notice. Contact the college Veterans Affairs Office for information about current regulations and procedures. Direct questions about specific financial benefits to the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551.
Under the Hazlewood Act, certain Texas veterans can attend Texas public colleges and have tuition exempted. To be eligible, the student must:
- Have been a resident of Texas at the time he or she entered the service
- Have an honorable discharge, or general discharge under honorable conditions
- Must currently be a Texas resident
- Must submit a qualifying benefits letter from the VA Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma (to obtain the letter, call 1-888-442-4551
- Have served at least 181 days of active military duty
- Not be in default on any federal educational loans
Texas state law requires that all veterans requesting assistance under the Hazlewood Act must complete a Hazlewood Exemption Application/Release form that will be used to report and track the amount of benefits that each veteran has used. Veterans are limited to 150 credit hours of exemptions. Contact the Veterans Affairs Office at your college for help in completing this form.