The State of Texas offers a number of exemptions for various categories of students. For example, exemptions are available to:
- Aid for Dependent children (AFDC) students
- American (other than U.S.) hemisphere students
- Blind or deaf students
- Children of disabled firemen and peace officers
- Children of prisoners of war or persons missing in action
- Existing Approved Early High School Exemption Recipients (any new students cannot apply)*
- Certified Educational Aides*
- Salaried Fire fighters enrolled in fire science courses
- Foster-care students
- Highest ranking high school graduate
- ROTC/National Guard students
- Senior citizens, and
- Veterans and dependents
For a full list and the criteria for eligibility, visit www.collegeforalltexans.com, or contact the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board at 1-800-242-3062.
*Note: These aids will no longer be funded after August 12, 2011.